Monday, October 4, 2010
Medea
While I was reading Medea I was constantly wondering if was realistic for a woman that was so scorn to actually plot and execute revenge so extreme to taking the lives of others, including the lives of her own children. This made me think about what I would do in Medea's situation. What if I met a guy and moved to a different country for him and after years of marriage and having a few kids, he decides to leave me and our kids for a younger woman? I would probably be like Medea in the beginning of the play and cry and threaten revenge. Medea then goes on to poison King Creon and his daughter and then kill her two children to leave her husband, Jason, with nothing. My rational thought would be to take my kids and leave. I would want revenge in some way, but I cannot see myself killing to get that revenge. The idea that Medea would kill her own children perplexes me. I would think that it would prolong her suffering, but I have to remember that Medea is from a different time. Also, I am not a mother and a wife and can only empathize with her. In the end, I think it comes to one question. Have you ever been so crazy in love that you do irrational things?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree with you that Medea killing her own children is a bit extreme, even for a myth. I almost couldn't take the story seriously because Medea's actions were so irrational. But you're right; we have to remember that Medea was intended for audiences from long ago. I doubt any audience members ever did the things Medea did, but I'm guessing Medea's story was accepted for stage back then more than it is now.
ReplyDeleteI think I would have the same reaction as you if I married somebody who would end up leaving me for a younger woman. I especially loved Medea's reaction to Jason's suggestion that she be his mistress. I think Medea showed real strength to stand up to Jason like that, but I wouldn't go as far to say that she was "brave" for seeking revenge.
ReplyDelete