Fences by August Wilson is an interesting play. I thought this play had a similar theme to Arthur Miller's Death of a Salesman, but Wilson adds his own unique elements to the story of a man pursuing the "American Dream." What really surprised me about the main character, Troy, was how he didn't support Cory and Lyons with what they wanted to do with their lives. Troy not supporting Lyons in his music career has very little effect on him because Lyons is thirty-four and his own man. Cory on the other hand, is a senior in high school and about to make some important life decisions. Cory dreams of going to college and playing football. Instead, Troy keeps his son from playing football for the college recruiter. I understand that Troy was trying to protect Cory from the pain he experienced when he didn't make baseball into a career, but I also believe that he hurt Cory by not allowing him to make this mistake.
Monday, November 22, 2010
Fences
Fences by August Wilson is an interesting play. I thought this play had a similar theme to Arthur Miller's Death of a Salesman, but Wilson adds his own unique elements to the story of a man pursuing the "American Dream." What really surprised me about the main character, Troy, was how he didn't support Cory and Lyons with what they wanted to do with their lives. Troy not supporting Lyons in his music career has very little effect on him because Lyons is thirty-four and his own man. Cory on the other hand, is a senior in high school and about to make some important life decisions. Cory dreams of going to college and playing football. Instead, Troy keeps his son from playing football for the college recruiter. I understand that Troy was trying to protect Cory from the pain he experienced when he didn't make baseball into a career, but I also believe that he hurt Cory by not allowing him to make this mistake.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I also saw Death of a Salesman through this play through the American Dream and the father looking out for his sons and wanting them to be successful in life.
ReplyDelete